Nagging X problem - SOLVED

Thomas E. Dukes edukes at alltel.net
Sun Sep 26 18:07:44 UTC 2004

> worked with

> > > files you
>

> > Unfortunately, that didn't work either.  It seems to be the
> root account
> > can't start X manually from runlevel 3 but can login as
> root under runlevel
> > 5.
> >
> > It has to be a file somewhere preventing this similar to
> root not being able
>
> Goodness this is a long thread and still unresolved.
>
> I would:
>     mv /root /oldroot
>     mkdir /root
>     startx
>     logout
>     # login
>     cp /etc/skel/.[a-z]* /root
>     startx
>     logout
>     # login
>     startx
Hi Mitch!

Its worked!!!  I think it was something in my root directory preventing X
from starting.  I moved /root and /tmp to different names, logged out, then
back in, no go.  I rebooted, logged in tried to start X, no go.  I moved
/tmp back to its original name, rebooted, logged in and X started.

Thanks for the help everyone!!