I want to clean my hard disk

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Sep 26 18:35:17 UTC 2004

Am So, den 26.09.2004 schrieb Arnaldo Bento um 20:17:

> Another way of presenting this subject:
>
> - Clean = delete all files no necessary ex: Temporary files

/tmp/ and /vat/tmp/ are cleaned regularly automagically by
/etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch and by instructions in /etc/rc.sysinit at boot
time. If you do not spread your temporary files all over the system by
hand, then there is no extra need for manual "cleaning".

> - Optimize = Defragmenter (already answered in an of the answers)
> unnecessary!!

Yes, unnecessary if speaking about Linux filesystems.

> - Suitable program: Is there some program that makes what I intend?

For the "cleaning" topic see my first comments. If you have need then
make use of the command "find" in conjunction with "rm". Depending on
what you want to find as temporary file and to erase, you can write a
short command line and use it by cron.

> Arnaldo Bento

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 20:29:49 up 5 days, 22:33, load average: 1.12, 1.33, 1.30