smb shares and the firewall

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Sep 26 19:03:07 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 22:50, Shawn Milo wrote:
> I tried to connect to a network share using the Gnome "connect to
> server" tool,
> but I could not. I disabled the firewall, and all is working.
>
> I brought up the firewall tool under System Settings/Security level, and
> there are
> no options there to enable or disable anything other than www, ftp, ssh,
> telnet, and
> smtp.
>
> Do I just have to know, or find out, the port(s) used by smb? Is there
> any way that,
> when a server or a port tries to make a connection for the first time, I
> can be prompted,
> the way other firewalls work, such as ZoneAlarm?

You will need the following:

137 UDP
138 UDP
139 TCP
445 TCP

I don't know of any utility that will prompt you for access for Linux.
A good place to look for port info is in the /etc/services file.  Other
than that I have used google to find info on this kind of stuff.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Caution: Keep out of reach of children.