power managment problems

Francisco Figueiredo Jr. fxjrlists at yahoo.com.br
Mon Sep 27 01:28:47 UTC 2004

Xavier Gonzalez wrote:
> I bought the computer (a brand new ThinkPad T42) last week. I had
> initiallyinstalled FC1, then moved to FC2, which produced a lot of
> suffering for me, and then finally came back to FC1.
> This is a new problem that I had not had with the two previous
> installations. It seems that apm is running, but I do not know if it's
> running correctly. This is what I did: last night the battery was low,
> and I just closed the lid sending it to hibernate.
>
> Today, I open the lid and got the computer running again. NO problems
> at all. Then I noticed that apm was not registering any recharging of
> the battery at all. It tells me that the computer was @ 12% but it did
> not indicate any recharging of the battery. The funny thing is that
> indicates that it has a high level of charge: i.e. 12% (high).
>
> What is really confusing is that the light on the  built-in screen
> panel in my T42 tells me that is doing OK.

Hi Xavier.

I would trust in the T42 light. My Gateway m350 also has its battery
status sometimes incorrectly reported. Something like I have a fuly
charged battery, as my notebook lights say me, but kdelaptop keeps
saying me that battery is only 95% charged and doesn't change that
whatever time I keep the ac pluged in. Later, if I reboot it says my
battery is fully charged, other times it keeps saying me 95%. So I think
it may be something with apm not being able to report correctly. What do
you get it you reboot instead of hibernate??

Btw, did you make any special configuration to get hibernate working? I
already checked a lot of sites about hibernation with acpi as well apm
but I could not figure out a correct procedure to set up it in my
laptop. If you could help me with that...

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.