Setting KDE default desktop

Andrey Andreev andreev at cs.helsinki.fi
Mon Sep 27 07:32:44 UTC 2004

Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi Andrey,
>
> Tks for your advice.
>
> Previously I was confused by this command "switchdesk
> KDE"  To change user's desktop I must login as "user",
> and then starting user's terminal to execute this
> command, not login as "root" after starting the
> terminal.

Desktop Environments are controlled per user. Whoever runs switchdesk,
gets a new default environment. Makes sense if there's a few people
using the same machine. :)

switchdesk is a small script that basically edits

	/home/someuser/.Xclients-default

which tells X what to do when it starts up.

>>FC usually points this out when you switch the DE
>>manualy.
>

> What did you mean "switch the DE manually"?

When logging on in GDM (your default graphical login manager which comes
up when you start up), you can control which DE (desktop environment)
you would like to use for the next session by clicking on the Session
"button" at the bottom of the screen. When I did that some time ago, I
remember getting a message window, telling me how to use switchdesk.
That's all I meant. :)

Greets,

//Andro

--