Change of Intel to AMD motherboard

linux r linuxr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 08:38:23 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Rick Lim <ricklim at telus.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 00:08:29 -0700
Subject: Change of Intel to AMD motherboard
To: Fedora List <fedora-list at redhat.com>

Hi there, I have a running FC2 on a Intel 233mhz motherboard, I want
to move it to an AMD-K6-2/500 motherboard but it will not boot.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make this run on the AMD
motherboard.

Thanks.

Not without knowing the specs of the motherboard.   ARe you absolutely
sure that this mb supports AMD chips?  Look for it in the
documentation, regardless of if the chip fits in the slot.  If my
alzheimers hadn't kicked in, I would remember for sure, but I think
that AMD has to have an AMD type slot (i forget the numbers it been a
while).

Once you get the hardware going, it is my understanding that,
chip-wise, AMD is basically something that is seen as very similar to
Intel by most operating systems.  So it sounds like you have a
hardware problem without knowing more specifics.   Also try
tomshardware.com or google for the right url, tom's will let you look
up the parts for hardware compatibility.

HTH,
linuxr

bottom-posted for your viewing pleasure....