Choosing an approach to Fedora upgrades.

CB fedoralist at crispin.cb-ss.net
Mon Sep 27 10:32:54 UTC 2004

What approaches do people here use for upgrading Fedora installations?
I'm assuming that one wants to upgrade, even if only for curiosity.

The options seem to be (all assuming /home to be a separate filesystem
which will be appropriately mounted after the upgrade):

- choose 'upgrade' option from the latest fedora install ISO set
- choose 'install' and reinstall all the required applications (maybe
scripted?)
- upgrade using yum or apt-get (I don't know how to do this, but it is
apparently possible)

Can anyone suggest how to choose between these? Fedora has a pretty high
rate of version churn and for anyone like me who wants to keep up it's
going to be important to establish a reliable and non-labour-intensive
procedure.