FC2+rsync+file corruption

Mike McMullen mlm at loanprocessing.net
Mon Sep 27 20:33:48 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I am experiencing file+filesystem corruption when trying to do an rsync
to an FC2 system.

I have two FC2 systems. I use rsync to create a mirror of  our office data
on the one system as a backup during different times of the day.

Both systems were originally running RH7.3. A week a go I freshly installed
FC2 from CD and updated to the most current version of packages on the
main server and moved our applications over. The system ran fine for the
week. So I installed FC2 from CD and updated packages on the backup
server this weekend. This all went great.

Today as I am trying to sync the backup to the main, I get the following
errors after the rsync goes merrily on for about 8 gigabytes synced to the
backup server.

failed to set times on "somefilenamehere": Read-only file system

Then I get the following error on every file after that:

mkstemp "/EPC/data/SuppDocs/Vista/MooreM-1rst/.anotherfilename.Wnopm8" failed: Read-only file system

The entire file system which is "/" is now read-only. If I try to reboot I get that the filesystem needs
checked and drops me into maintenance. I fsck the partition and it find all kinds of problems
and some files are mangled.

FYI, I am running software raid and "/" is a software raid-1 partition consisting of two devices. Both
are configured the same and are the same disk drives.

The backup server is an old ASUS board with a 700MHZ Athalon and 768MB of RAM.

The rsync command I am using from the main server is:

rsync -aWvx --delete -e ssh /SomeDirectory/ BackUpServerIP:/SomeDirectory/

If anyone has any insight, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Mike