What is the best one to play .mp3 .rm or .avi files?

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Mon Sep 27 23:45:33 UTC 2004

Bao Cao wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Just start enjoying FC2, could anybody please
> introduce some nice media players which can work on
> .mp3, .rm, or .avi files? Thanks for any tips!
>
> Best,
>  BC

.mp3 playback is easy: you just need to install the necessary file
called xmms-mp3. The details (in case you aren't familiar with the joys
of using yum for software installation) are at this url:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

Once you have yum configured, you can easily install the software with
this command at a root prompt:

yum install xmms-mp3

For the video playback in a browser, hit this section:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#browsermovies

where you can read that this command will do the trick (most of the
time) for you:

yum install mplayerplug-in

Now about those .rm files -- someone else is going to have to help with
that one! I've not had much success with either the Real Player for
Linux or the Helix Player, but it's been a long time since I've tried
either.

Hope this helps,
Clint