sendmail logs

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Sep 28 13:48:42 UTC 2004

Carlo Orecchia wrote:
> --On 28 September 2004 10:59 +0100 Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you should set up DNS (forward and reverse) for your internal
>> network so that all machines have fully-qualified hostnames and you don't
>> need the hosts file entries at all?
>
> Yes  it could be a solution but i don't know how to do it. I have a
> dynamic address so i think i can't do it. Could you tell me where i can
> find docs about this? about named or whatever.

Well your "external" address may be dynamic but your LAN addresses aren't, are
they? If so, you can set up a DNS server for your LAN quite easily.

You already appear to have named running since your resolv.conf has 127.0.0.1
in it - isn't that so?

See http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-September/msg03121.html
for an example of how you could set up named to serve forward and reverse DNS
for your LAN, and do recursive lookups for other domains.

Paul.