Unable to activate Ethernet Card

Andrey Andreev andreev at cs.helsinki.fi
Tue Sep 28 14:26:17 UTC 2004

dcf fcd wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>                     I have Fedora Core2 Test 2 installed in my
> computer. It is detecting my LAN card ( NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking
> Adapter). But I am not able to activate my LAN card. The LAN card is
> working fine b'cos I am able to access LAN in windows. I have no idea
> what is the problem. I'll be very grateful if somebody can help me.
>                                                    Thanks,
>                                                               dcffcd

What is detecting your LAN card?

Try

	 /sbin/modprobe forcedeth

as root. Than you shall be able to do

	/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up

You may need to substitute eth1 for eth1 if you have more than one
network adapter. You may also need to pass more options to ifconfig if
you are not using DHCP. Read man infconfig for more info.

If you your network works now, add

	alias eth0 forcedeth

to your /etc/modprobe.conf and the module will be loaded on each boot.

Greets,

//Andro

--
Andrey Andreev