Unable to activate Ethernet Card

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Tue Sep 28 14:47:34 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 16:02, dcf fcd wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>                     I have Fedora Core2 Test 2 installed in my
> computer. It is detecting my LAN card ( NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking
> Adapter). But I am not able to activate my LAN card. The LAN card is
> working fine b'cos I am able to access LAN in windows. I have no idea
> what is the problem. I'll be very grateful if somebody can help me.
>                                                    Thanks,
>                                                               dcffcd

Hi There,
run lspci and the lsmod on the command line as root (su -)
comapred the output of lspci for your lan and see if there is the correct
module loaded. If not cd into the /usr/src/linux/drivers dir or
the /lib/modules/ dir and look for the corect driver,
use modprobe driver to test.
If you run ifconfig does it have an IP address.
also check the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth? file
it should look like this:

You could just use mine as a sample and edit according to you network:

# Broadcom Corporation|BCM4401 100Base-T
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=192.168.2.255
HWADDR=00:C0:9F:3A:85:89
IPADDR=192.168.2.5
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.2.0
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

Then run service network restart and try again.
If you still can't win try service iptables off
if that fixes it the you need to setup your iptables
That quite easy for ping you use icmp, nfs uses udp and most others use tcp
then add a line like this to your /etc/sysconfig/iptables file

-A INPUT -m icmp -p icmp -i eth0 -j ACCEPT
and to ping out
-A OUTPUT -m icmp -p icmp -o eth0 -j ACCEPT
you can also use it for a specific service like nfs
-A INPUT -i eth0 -m udp -p udp --dport 2049 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i eth0 -m tcp -p tcp --dport 2049 -j ACCEPT

That because nfs actually uses tcp and udp,
playaround with it.
in the /etc/services file you find the ports to services mappings
good luck!
--
Chadley Wilson
Redhat Certified Technician