latest cdrecord problem status

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Tue Sep 28 16:30:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 02:20, Clint Harshaw wrote:
> > I don't mean to be a pest, but can you send me a pointer to exactly
> > where you have explained how to burn CDs under FC2.  A modest search of
> > the archives hasn't turned up anything.  Ditto /usr/src/linux/README and
> > the files under /usr/src/linux/Documentation.
> >
> > The latest cdrecord upgrade has completely broken CD burning on my
> > system; the last audio CD is **quite** amusing and not unpleasant to
> > listen to, but nothing like the original sound.
> >
> > Many thanks for all your good postings:
> >
> > Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net>
> >

> I'm not clear on what you're needing help with: the specifics of how to
> use cdrecord (or the much easier to use k3b), or is your problem
> associated with the "can't burn as a non-root user in kernel 2.6.8.x"?
>
> k3b is very intuitive and does a nice job burning cds with a minimum of
> fuss. However if you are using the 2.6.8.x kernel, you can't burn as a
> non-root user. Your choices are to either a) su to the root user and
> burn away, or b) boot into an earlier kernel.
>
> This tutorial may be of some help:
> http://penguinsolutions.org/fedora/cdrw/
>
> Here's a trick I've used to help teach myself the necessary cdrecord
> commands: burn in k3b, but make a note of the output log. It provides
> the specific cdrecord command that k3b created to get the job done.

I've been making CDs with a little script, from which I use the single
line:
	cdrecord -v dev=/dev/cdrom -dao -useinfo *.wav
This has always worked in the past.  I've also used the front end
gcombust, which has also generally worked OK

Lately, I've noticed the following things:

  o "cdrecord -scanbus" produces the line
        1,0,0   100) 'SONY    ' 'DVD RW DRU-510A ' '1.0c' Removable CD-ROM
    but "cdrecord dev=1,1,0 -inq" produces the lines
        scsidev: '1,0,0'
        scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
        cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/sg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
        cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
        cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
    "cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc -inq" produces info that looks correct.

  o When I try to burn a CD-ROM using the line
	cdrecord -v dev=/dev/cdrom -dao -useinfo *.wav     #or similar
    and with /usr/bin/cdrecord setuid to root I get messages, the gist
    of which are DAO mode, or SAO mode, or RAW mode are not available.

  o When I tried to burn an audio CD-ROM as root, I crashed the X server
    and some other daemons.  (I'm not sure which ones, they flashed past
    me while robooting the system.)  The CD generated in this process
    got the correct entry from the cddb database, but sounded **very**
    strange.

I've just installed k3b, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

It looks from your little web site:
	http://penguinsolutions.org/fedora/cdrw/cdrw.html
that Linux-2.6.8 is well and truly broken, and that the best thing to do
is to downgrade to 2.6.7.  Other people say all kinds of things about
installing, or **not** installing the ide-scsi module.  It may also be
that cdrdao, which can be invoked by k3b works better than cdrecord; I
haven't had time to try this yet.  Alex Dalloz claims to have posted
solutions multiple times, but I can't find his postings anywhere in the
archive.

The situation is complicated because cdrecord has recently been upgraded
as well as the kernel.  As near as I can figure out, the reason for the
upgrade is to have cdrecord drop privilege when invoking child
processes, which it can do in some cases, using the RSH environment
variable.

Many Thanks - jon