Ping tester

Peter peter at mcdermottpa.com
Tue Sep 28 18:36:57 UTC 2004

Michael Jezierski - Systec Conveyors wrote:

> what's a good ping tester I can setup on a FC2 box, perferably without
> any X-windows. Just need to ping a couple sites and if there's a
> problem email the person responsible for that site.

I'm a Linux newbie but if you just need to ping a ip address or url try
typing something like:

ping -c 5  www.redhat.com

Which will ping redhat's site 5 times. By writing a little script that
pipes several pings into a log file you can ping a bunch of sites at
once.  Add your script to cron and your computer will auto check at any
time frequency you want. Don't know if this is what you meant by ping
tester.