ssh & port 22 problem

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Tue Sep 28 21:36:12 UTC 2004

On Mon 27 September 2004 18:50, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> Greetings!
>
>  When I try to connect from a remote machine to my one at home
> using ssh I get the error message "ssh: connect to host 64.146.133.1 port
> 22: Connection refused" -- but using ssh in the outgoing direction (i.e.
> from home to the remote location) works fine.  Any suggestions as to how
> to troubleshoot this?

Sorry about my previous post.  The problem is that 64.146.133.1 is not
your IP address.  It is the customer-side IP address of a Cisco router
physically located at your ISP, which is why I got the confusing response
from telnet.

If your fedora box is connected directly to a DSL modem, you should
be able to find your IP address by running ifconfig from the command
line and looking for 'inet addr:' (probably under 'eth0').
If you have your own router or router/modem combo, access it to see
the current WAN address.  Of course, if you have a router you need
to set it to forward port 22 to your fedora box.

--Stewart