help with making a FC2 CD bootable

Wolfgang Gill wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Wed Sep 29 03:56:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:49:25 -0400, Steven C. Liu wrote
> Folks,
>
> I've come to the conclusion that I've burned my CD's correctly.  I used
> Nero, Sonic and various XP "wizards" and stuff to burn the FC2 discs
> onto CD.  Everyone burns fine, except that I can't make disc1
> properly bootable.
>
> Can someone please -- PUHLEEZE -- help me out here?  This shouldn't
> be so hard.  My CD-RW drive is on my PC running XP Pro SP2.
>
> What I think I need is a way to burn a small bootstrapping code as
> the first record of the CD.  That small bootstrapping code will
> point BIOS to the real boot program and to teh rest of the boot up
> sequence.  Can someone supply me with the bootstrapping code?
>
> TIA,
>
> Steve

Sounds to me that you are burning to the CD as a file. You need to burn it to
the CD as an image. The FC2).iso is an image, it already contains the boot
infromation. So you need to tell Nero (Sorry never used this program) to burn
the ISO image to the CD. (As an example, I've used ROXIO (Originally Easy CD
Creator), and I only had to double click on the ISO file to brun it to the CD)
If you burn the ISO to the CD as a file, it won't work.

Wolf