Scripting names from a file

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 29 06:22:16 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 06:53:54AM +0200, Chadley Wilson wrote:

> > I am lazy and feel handy with in vi.
> >
> > Since you have a file full of file names
> > And since I have no clue how the file was generated
> > and validated.... I want to inspect the file first.
> WOW!
> Tom                      Are you trying to frighten me?
> Your doing a good job, ;->
> had a list of mp3's which had been renamed removing the funny characters..

Interesting... I sort of went nuts because my "music" dir
is also full of files with funny char.   I even have some Greek
file names.

Since you have renamed all the funny char file names
you are in better shape than most.  This is an important
step and should have been disclosed.

What tool did you use to rename them.
How did you verify that they were correct?

Because of this meta character thing in file names I use
the "-print0" option in find and "xargs -0"  lots. Lots!

It is slower but solves many garbage file name problems...

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Me, I would "Rather" Not.