General connection timeout

Yang Xiao yxiao2004 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 14:47:24 UTC 2004

Hi,
TCP connection timeout can be tunned using sysctl and the variable is
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 7200 (default value)
however, it can change if any packet filtering firewall is involved,
some firewalls allow you to sepecify specific connection timeouts per
protocol, port. some don't. I'm not too sure whether IPTABLES has that
capability, but firewalls like Checkpoint does.

Yang