help with making a FC2 CD bootable

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Wed Sep 29 18:44:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 23:49 -0400, Steven C. Liu wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've come to the conclusion that I've burned my CD's correctly.  I used
> Nero, Sonic and various XP "wizards" and stuff to burn the FC2 discs onto
> CD.  Everyone burns fine, except that I can't make disc1 properly bootable.

	It's easy to see if you burned correctly or not.

First the file you made the CDs out of should not contain the letters
SRPM - these are source discs and are not meant to be booted.

Under Windows, open the cd you just burned (i.e. "My Computer"-->"d" or
whichever drive letter your CD is. in fact it should say FC2 something
under the Icon).  When you have it open do you see one file named the
same as the .iso you just burned? (i.e.FC2-i386-disc1.iso ).  That bit
that says -i386 in the name indicates that this iso is for the regular
pentium or equivalent PC (not G4 macs or whatever-which is obviously not
the problem).

With the disc open do you see the files :
autorun   README-Accessibility   RPM-GPG-KEY-beta
eula.txt  README-en              RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
Fedora    README-en.html         RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-rawhide
GPL       RELEASE-NOTES-en       RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-test
images    RELEASE-NOTES-en.html  RPM-GPG-KEY-rawhide
isolinux  RPM-GPG-KEY            TRANS.TBL

(Fedora, images and isolinux are directories)

if all of the above is true, you may have another problem, Have you been
able to boot any other CD? check your BIOS -- ensure that the CD is on
the list of bootable devices and (preferably) first, but definitely
before the HDD.

HTH

Scott

--