gnome/gui applets don't work after using changing network parameters

Basil Copeland blcjr at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 29 21:13:21 UTC 2004

I don't know if this is a gnome issue or not, but it
has been around since at least RH 9, and I now see it
still in Fedora Core 2.

If one edits network parameters using the gui applet
(system-network-config?), the desktop basically stops
working afterwards, and no gui applets open from the
menu until the system is restarted.

I thought it was a quirk of RH 9, or perhaps the
version of gnome RH 9 uses, but I now see exactly the
same behavior in Fedora Core 2, which I just installed
for the first time.

I'm surprised that this behavior still persists, after
all the water that has passed under the bridge since
RH 9.

What's going on?  Is there a user fix?

Basil