MathML support in Mozilla/Firefox

Sarantis Paskalis sarantis at cnl.di.uoa.gr
Thu Sep 30 11:39:52 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 03:51:28PM +0100, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 12:14, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> > I was testing out Mozilla's support for MathML (with the mathml-fonts
> > package installed), and equations are not being rendered as they are
> > supposed to (Greek letters used where Roman ones should be).
>
> Anyway, I guess I can re-enable my Windows fonts if I remove the Windows
> Symbol font, which was probably the one causing the problems, but I am
> rather puzzled by Mozilla telling me that I don't have a Symbol font
> installed in that case. Do others get the same warning?

Mozilla is confused with the Windows symbol font.  You can enable it, if
you edit /usr/lib/firefox-$VERSION/res/fonts/fontEncoding.properties and
uncomment the lines

encoding.symbol.ttf = Adobe-Symbol-Encoding
encoding.symbol.ftcmap = mac_roman

It is a known bug (search bugzilla.mozilla.org for mathml and symbol if you
need more details).

-- Sarantis