[SOLVED} network woes with laptop and pc card ethernet

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Sep 30 13:37:23 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 21:03, Christopher K. Johnson wrote:
> Jeff Vian wrote:
>
> >I am having problems with networking on my laptop.
> >
> >FC2 on a Dell Inspiron 5000 with PC card ethernet.
> >I have 2 different ethernet cards and the symptoms are the same with
> >both.
> >3C562B/3C563B dual network/modem card
> >3C589D 10base2/10baseT card.

<snip>

> >TIA
> >Jeff
> >

> The first thing I would try (because it is known to work for certain
> 3com cards using the 3c5x9 module and might be the same issue) is to
> turn off kudzu running at boot, then reboot the system.
>
> chkconfig kudzu off
> reboot
>
> It seems that FC's version of kudzu hoses certain 3com cards with the
> probing it does.
>
> Chris

That made no difference.
After worrying with this for a while I realized that I only had one
dongle, and that I have been using it with the ethernet card on various
laptops for several years.  It has only recently begun giving me this
problem so I began to suspect it may have gotten damaged (especially
since I let a friend use the ethernet card for his laptop some time ago)

I got a new (and of course better) pc card and that one works
flawlessly.  A linksys PCM200 and when I plugged it in the machine
loaded the tulip driver and it just works. No dongles on this one to get
damaged. :-)