Cvs on Fedora codepage problem

Björn Persson listor1.rombobeorn at comhem.se
Thu Sep 30 14:57:20 UTC 2004

Nicolas Fortin wrote:

> The structure is ok, except that when a file or directory name contains
> an accented character, like those : "é","è", "ù", and so on ..., each of
> these characters are replaced by a question mark (?). Of course, it is
> now impossible to commit or update the modified files and directories.

That looks like the file names are encoded in an 8-bit encoding, but
your terminal, file manager or whatever you're viewing the file names in
tries to interpret them as UTF-8. The non-English letters are then seen
as illegal UTF-8 code sequences, and question marks are displayed instead.

I wouldn't exactly be surprised if CVS ignores the character encoding
issue entirely, thereby forcing everyone to use the same encoding.

As "ne..." said, you can edit /etc/sysconfig/i18n, but it will affect
your entire system.

Björn Persson