Anyone Here running on x86-64 Hardware Yet

Philip A. Chapman pchapman at pcsw.us
Thu Sep 30 18:00:38 UTC 2004

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Philip A. Chapman writes:
>
>> Aly Dharshi wrote:
>>
>>> This would prolly be RC, I don't think that 1.5 is in GA.
>>>

>> You are correct.
>

> Last time I checked Sun only offered a JVM for IA-64.
>
> Sun bet the cookies on IA-64, and got caught with their pants down, when
> the Itanic hit the iceberg.  I strongly suspect that they scrambled and
> repackaged the Blackdown build, as a short-term measure.
>
> Investigating…

Sam,

Yesterday, you were correct.  Today, you are not.  :-)  1.5 has been
released as production release Java 5.  Go enjoy the Java goodness.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

As an interesting aside, The AMD 64 bit version for Linux is ready and
available, but the AMD 64 bit version for Windows is still a release
candidate.

Enjoy,
--
Philip A. Chapman

Application Development:
Java, Visual Basic (MCP), PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL
Linux, Windows 9x, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP