HAL broken after upgrade to FC3

Muyiwa Taiwo muyiwataiwo at tetovastics.com
Fri Apr 1 13:59:42 UTC 2005

I upgraded to kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC3 a couple of weeks ago from
2.6.9-1.667, and also upgraded HAL to 0.4.7-1.FC3.  Since then, HAL has
stopped working.  On system start, it shows that it starts normally, but
it actually dies silently (as revealed by "service haldaemon status",
which shows that hald is stopped).  The effect of this is that my USB
drives (hard disks, floppy, memory disk, camera, etc., are no longer
automatically mounted when they're plugged in.  I can mount them
manually, but that means that I've got to go to System Logs to find out
what they're called.

I've tried re-installing HAL 0.4.0-10, but this didn't help.  I've also
downloaded and run the latest initscripts, still no show.  I've searched
numerous mailing lists, but there doesn't seem to be a fix.  Am I
looking in the wrong places?

My configuration is:

- Toshiba TE2000 laptop
- udev-039-10.FC3.7