/ out of space - what to do?

Anthony J Placilla anthony_placilla at SUTH.COM
Fri Apr 1 23:27:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 21:30 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Richard E Miles wrote:

> >> I am not having troubles for disk space but I tried the above commands.
> >> Both reported 'package x is not installed'.
>
> Very odd.  Did you spell "kernel" right (all lower-case, e.g.)?  You
> certainly have at least one kernel RPM installed.
>

> >> In my /boot directory I have a large number of files (vmlinuz-?,
> >> system.map-?,config-? and initrd-?).  If I don't want to use a
> >> particular kernal can I just delete the appropiate set of files here?
>
> That's not a good idea.  The RPM database will think you still have those
> files, and it may confuse things at some point later.  Better to figure
> out why you are getting the unexpected error.
>

> >> Regards Neil

> > I think that you can delete multiple kernels if you put then all in one
> > command, thus:
> > rpm -e kernel.version1 kernel.version2 etc
>
> Correct.
>
> --
>  		Matthew Saltzman
>
> Clemson University Math Sciences
> mjs AT clemson DOT edu
> http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

I tend to get a little anal when it comes to RPM'ing off kernels

This should be a tad safer:

uname -r
to get your currently running kernel

rpm -qa |grep -i kernel
to get the list of installed kernels

rpm -e them off one at a time, taking explicit care not to remove the
one you are running

also take a look at the find string I posted a few days ago in this
thread. You can do an
rpm -qf

on any of the big files & figure out if you can do without the rpm that
particular file belongs to.

YMMV

--
Tony Placilla, RHCT
anthony_placilla at suth.com
J.O.A.T.

GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/C78F8B64              http://pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint = A8D5 7AFF CE88 4179 C792  D9A9 F197 2A15 C78F 8B64