screen flashing to black every several seconds

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Apr 2 17:44:04 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:

> I used your method to reapply the X11-6.8.1 and now I'm back to normal.
>
> Someone had suggested I file a bugzilla: here's my problem - given my
> less than advanced understanding of Linux, I can't say for certain that
> this is an X bug; what if the action of installing the ATI/Radeon driver
> from ATI broke the system? I have another machine,  configured almost
> exactly the same as this one, at work, to which I did NOT apply the ATI
> driver, but DID apply the X 6.8.2 update - it's working just fine as far
> as this issue is concerned. Perhaps my removal of the ATI/Radeon driver
> didn't get rid of everything it installed, and it's THAT residue that is
> causing the problem on my system?
>
> Any thoughts on this?

I would assume that this problem is due to changes in the xorg-x11
version that relate to the ati driver. It would be best to find a bug
report that seems to resemble the flashing problem that you are
experiencing and attach the the /etc/X11/xorg.conf that you are using.

This problem sounds like it would be best for your use of the system to
refrain from upgrading X. The bad thing it will remain broken.

You might submit the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file when you are getting the
flashing problem for the bug report with the upgrades applied. After
that, you csn downgrade again and have tracking for resolving the bug
through bugzilla.

I currently have a hybrid xorg-x11 with some features from the CVS and
others from the development version of xorg-x11. I couldn't help much
more with figuring out your blanking problem. It might be related to the
monitor or to x itself.

Jim

--
Politics, as a practice, whatever its professions, has always been the
systematic organisation of hatreds.