Server Setup

Manny kcmanny at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 16:57:41 UTC 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 6:04 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 16:59 -0600, Manny wrote:
> > I'm wondering if someone could help me out here. I want configure my
> > server with the following:
> >
> > Apache
> > MySQL
> > PHP
> > Postfix
> > Samba
> >
> > I know I can set these all up on one server, but I also want to setup
> > a DNS server. My question is should I use a separate machine to do my
> > DNS? Or is it okay to do it all on one machine? And is it okay to do
> > all of these on one machine?
> >
> > Here are the specs on my server.
> >
> > AMD 650MHz processor
> > 35GB HDD
> > 384MB SDRAM
> ----
> probably depends as much on the number of users and the types of loads
> that these users are putting on a server than the number of
> services...all of those services should be no problem for that machine.

Total number or users will be between 5 and 10. I don't see any reason
to add more. Also, this will be used for testing and learning as I'm
trying to jump back into the Linux world that I left 5 years ago to do
mngt.

> I would say - go for it and if you find the load is too much, set up
> another machine and partition the load between them.

As for a second machine, that is another option I was looking into but
wasn't 100% sure, that's why I wanted some feedback.

Thanks for the feedback all!!! Your help was greatly appreciated.

-Manny