Boot hangs after snort initialization

Mark Sargent powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp
Mon Apr 4 04:50:24 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

> Mark Sargent wrote:
>
>> my boot hangs after snort is initialized. The last line shown after
>> the snort initialization message is Enabling swap space  OK and then
>> a continually blinking cursor below it. Nothing is reported in either
>> /var/log/boot.log or /var/log/messages. Cheers.
>

> The boot will be hanging because you're not running snort in daemon
> mode. Though I'm surprised the "hang" is so early in the boot process,
> given that you're running snort from rc.local, which is right at the
> end of the boot process. Are you booting with "rhgb quiet" as boot
> parameters in grub.conf?
>
> Paul.

Hi All,

something weird. Now, I don't get anything from snort at boot. Here is
how I came about this. I, today, changed this,
/usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth0 -g snort to this
/usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth0 -Dg snort

and with not seeing anything relating to snort at boot, and it not
running after the FC3 is loaded. I checked with ps -auxwww | grep snort,
I went and removed the D option, just to see if it were trying to load,
with the errors, like b4, at bootup. It's not. Now, I haven't made any
other changes here. Still, if I type snort in the cli, it starts fine.
What's happening here..? Cheers.

Mark Sargent.