[FC3] Sites 'disappearing' from DNS

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 4 11:14:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 06:02 -0500, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 14:43 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>
> > the fact that it doesn't find it the first time but does on subsequent
> > tries suggest that you have some problem with the setup and latency so
> > your client times out before the dns lookup completes.
> >
> > Probably the best way to fix that is to fix your caching dns server.
>
>     Well, if I had to get it twice to actually make it, sure...the funny
> thing is, if I go there first with 'host' and find it, then use Firefox,
> it still doesn't. (Denying all reason that *I* know)  Firefox just won't
> find it. That's what makes me think Firefox is involved.   These are
> sites I've visited every day or so for years...and I've not changed the
> local /etc/resolv.conf or anything on my end for about as long.
>
>     How can this be?
>
> --
> Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
> Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
> ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller

Brian,

Do any other browsers have this problem?

I haven't seen any of the IPv6 firefox issues mentioned lately, but have
you turned off IPv6?  IIRC firefox had issues timing out DNS lookups via
IPv6, before trying IPv4.

add:

alias net-pf-10 off

To /etc/modprobe.conf, unfortunately you'll have to reboot to get it to
take affect.

Bob...

Bob...