FC3-font issue

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Apr 4 15:43:52 UTC 2005

Leaf wrote:
> On Sunday 03 April 2005 18:15, P Jones wrote:
>

>>Anyway, try switching to GNOME and then open your OOo documents from
>>there. Does the problem go away?
>>
>>By the way, the other issue I had was that installing the MS Web Fonts
>>caused OOo to consider Arial to be the default font. Not sure why that
>>happened either. So I uninstalled them and the problem went away. I
>>had no font issues on FC1, and I don't know what has changed, but I'm
>>going to jump into the FC4 beta cycle with the next test release, and
>>hopefully things will be better.
>>
>>-P
>

> Very odd, I just started using FC3 a few days ago and I prefer KDE, I was
> installing the msttcorefonts along with some other fonts I had downloaded and
> my font settings "flaked out", for lack of a better term.  I have been
> working with the settings but still haven't figured out what happened nor
> have I managed to return them to what they initially were.  I do not think
> this is a KDE issue as I was using 3.4 with PCLinuxOS with no issue, and
> Kubuntu had a font issue of it's own it seemed.
>
> If FC4 does correct this or it never occurs if you do a fresh install, please
> post something to this effect as I will be immediately jumping on that test
> cycle as well.

Funny that this comes onto the list today.  On Friday, my better half
was in the process of trying some things for work and found that the
font issue was bad.  There was no Times New Roman on our FC1 computer.
  After much searching I found that I needed to install "MS fonts"
which seems to me to be counter productive.  After much fighting and
searching I found a msfonts rpm last night.  Problem solved.

While searching I came across a few articles that reviewed Fedora and
it was noted that this was a major issue for the reviewers.  Lack of
decent fonts.

I am going to look into this farther as in my wifes case, Times New
Roman is mandated as the font for work.

Hopefully FC4 will come with a decent set of fonts by default without
the need to install msfonts.

--
Robin Laing