apt-get works better than yum

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Apr 4 17:01:00 UTC 2005

Rick Lim wrote:
> [...]
with file from package kdenetwork-3.1.4-1

(snip)

> Sorry I should clarify my posting, I have already upgraded from FC1 to FC3
> using the ISO CD rom.
>
> When I now try to update my FC3 using YUM it fails miserably, which it also
> failed on another FC3 system, on this other FC3 system apt-get worked
> wonderfully.
>
> Now when I tried apt-get on this system it fails with the above errors.
>
> I used apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade.

So in fact on this system apt is no better than yum.

You have got an old version of kdenetwork installed, and that is what is
causing your problems. A vanilla installation of FC3 has
kdenetwork-3.3.0-5 and an updated version has kdenetwork-3.3.1-3. You
have got kdenetwork-3.1.4-1. Do you have a duplicate package installed?

What's the output of:
$ rpm -qa 'kde*'

You might also try this to fix the problem:
# rpm -e kdenetwork-3.1.4-1

Paul.