AW: RAID greater than 2TB on Fedora Core 3

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Apr 4 19:59:45 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 15:09, Masopust Christian wrote:
> hi scot,
>
> it's a RAID5 with 8 x 400GB disks, so i'd expected a size of
> appr. 2,8TB (Raid says it's about 2,6TB) but Fedora only see
> exactly 2TB....

That should give you 3200GB raw and in raid 5 there will be about 12.5%
(1/8 * 100)  overhead or ~400GB.  Which means you should get about
~2800GB of usable space.  You will lose a little more when you format
the partition.

I did find this reference to a 2TB limit for block devices:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6238

Read almost at the bottom of the page.

And this article that seems to indicate a patch for this is being worked
on.

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0205.1/0423.html

So it does appear that you may be hitting a kernel limitation on >2TB
file systems.

I recently did create a 1TB file system from four 300GB hard drives
using LVM.  No raid on this as I am not that concerned about this
application.

Using XFS file system and it is working very well.  Used over 600GB on
it so far.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com