command lsof

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Tue Apr 5 02:39:51 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 21:17 -0500, Charles Malespin wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to figure out why my CD rom drive wont open when I use
> the eject command.  It tells me that the device is busy and that it is
> being used, but to my knowledge it isnt.  So I tried ' lsof ' to list
> what was going on in the /media/cdrecorder drive but it tells me that
> lsof command not found.  I am using FC3, does this command not exist
> for my OS?  I am a newbie so I really dont know what to do or if this
> is a stupid question... Any help or ideas?  Thanks,
> Charles

It's /usr/sbin/lsof so regular users don't "see" it in their search
path.  If you want to use commands which are typically only available to
root, you can become root from a command prompt by issuing the command:

su -

Note the trailing hyphen.  This will allow you to become root
temporarily until you exit the shell.

Thomas