Files appearing at boot in xinetd.d and rc.d

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Tue Apr 5 04:49:47 UTC 2005

Mark Sargent wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have this in my rc.local file,
>
> [root at localhost rc.d]# cat rc.local
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
> # You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
> # want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.
>
> touch /var/lock/subsys/local
> /usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth0 -g snort
>
> which is supposed to start snort with mysql support. Last Friday it
> would hang after initializing snort. I then commented out the line
> referring to snort, so as to get the OS to boot and then ran snort
> from the cli, which it did with no errors. Someone suggested that the
> line needed the D option so snort would run in the background, and
> hopefully not hang the boot. I did this yesterday, and then rebooted,
> and found that it didn't start at all. I then removed the D again to
> see if it gave the same results prior to adding the D option.
> Rebooted, and nothing still. No instance of snort trying to initialize
> and no instance once the OS is booted. Ok, at this point, I was lost.
> I then made sure snort was still installed, which it was(for it not to
> be woulda been weird, indeed). I then double checked for snort.conf,
> which was there(no different than last Friday). I then went into
> /etc/rc.d and checked that rc.local was definitely there, and that
> brings me to this question. Why, at every boot, do I get two rc.local
> files.?
>
> [root at localhost rc.d]# ls
> init.d rc rc1.d rc3.d rc5.d rc.local rc.sysinit
> ln8 rc0.d rc2.d rc4.d rc6.d rc.local~
>
> Even if I remove rc.local~, it returns at next boot. That I do not
> understand, but, it also happens with tftp in /etc/xinetd.d
>
> [root at localhost xinetd.d]# ls
> chargen cups-lpd daytime-udp echo hotsmtpd rsync tftp~ time-udp
> chargen-udp daytime dbskkd-cdb echo-udp hotwayd tftp time
>
> What is this..? If I have 2 rc.local files, both trying to excute the
> same code at boot, does this explain why snort is not appearing..? I'm
> a little lost. Cheers.
>
> Mark Sargent.

Mark, a thread some time back noted that an editor application (don't
remember which one) created a backup file on opening a file for
editing.  Said backup file was assigned the name of filein~.  The files
you are concerned about may be created a new on each boot with the
previous file saved with the same name and a ~ appended.  At any rate,
rc.local and rc.local~ are two distinct names and I don't believe both
are not trying to execute.