DMA timeout

Jamie Wilch jamie at wilch.net
Tue Apr 5 16:44:17 UTC 2005

On my Dell Inspiron 1150 notebook, I sometimes get these errors in the log:

Apr  5 10:34:54 jwnotepad kernel: hdc: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
Apr  5 10:35:09 jwnotepad kernel: hdc: DMA timeout error
Apr  5 10:35:09 jwnotepad kernel: hdc: dma timeout error: status=0xd0 {
Busy }
Apr  5 10:35:09 jwnotepad kernel:
Apr  5 10:35:09 jwnotepad kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
Apr  5 10:35:09 jwnotepad kernel: hdc: DMA disabled
Apr  5 10:35:09 jwnotepad kernel: ide1: reset: success

The computer locks up for about 4-5 seconds while this is occurring.  It
only occurs when reading/writing large amounts of data, but not always.

I've tried booting with the nodma switch on the kernel.  That fixes the
problem, however, it slows down the computer noticeably.

Is there a chance of data loss when this happens?  It happens so
infrequent, that I'd rather run with the faster DMA than without as long
as there is not risk of data loss.

Thanks
Jamie