Sendmail & Cyrus-imapd

Corey Head coreyhead at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 16:53:26 UTC 2005

--- Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> GPL wrote:
> > Thats right, I know I have read this somewhere.
> Thanks for the memory jog.
> > I'll look into dovecot. Thanks for the tip. I
> would still like to
> > research both. Have to start somewhere learning it
> somehow. Online
> > documentation is what I am researching now. Also,
> since I have the
> > server locked up in a closet I am mainly
> configuring via the CLI.
>
> A useful guide is the Linux Home Server HOWTO:
> http://www.brennan.id.au/
>
> Chapter 12 (Sendmail Server) also covers dovecot.
>
> Paul.
I'd agree with Mr. Howarth.  For what it sounds like
you're needing, dovecot and sendmail may be your best
bet.  My only beef with dovecot (which isn't really
with dovecot but some 'older' clients) is that it
doesn't support certain commands like LAST in POP
mail.  Newer clients don't use this but older ones
(and Yahoo POP Mail) use it.  dovecot is ready to go
'out-of-the-box' but can easily be configured for IMAP
only in the /etc/dovecot.conf file.  I installed
QPopper (a free POP3 server) and it's all working
great for both IMAP and POP.

As for configuring Sendmail, a couple of great howto's
are below.  Sendmail is EASY to configure and a lot of
the instructions you need for configuring the server
are in the sendmail.mc file already.
Linux Howto
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/linux-hn/sendmail.htm

and

http://info.ccone.at/INFO/RH-sendmail-HOWTO/book1.html

If you've done a full, fresh install of FC3, you can
probably just skip to chapter 4 of this second one
above.

For SMTP AUTH (a good idea if you have roaming users)
http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/sendmail-smtp-auth-howto.php

Have fun!
Corey