imap client issues

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Apr 5 19:41:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 19:25 +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> Set up dovecot -
>
> fetchmail --> procmail --> Maildir
>
> I can't use it for smtp because a lot of mail hosts (rightly so, to
> fight spam) will not accept my mail unless I use my ISP smtp server.
>
> Eudora - after telling it to accept the certificate can read mail. Can
> not send - my smtp requires a password, which happens to be different
> than the password I am using on the dovecot box. No way I can find to
> specify that password to Eudora.
>
> Evolution - can read the mail just fine, but seems to have same problem
> as Eudora, it seems to assume the check password is same as smtp
> password.
>
> Balsa, my client of choice - does allow different password for checking
> and sending, but it seems unable to check my mail (balsa 2.2.5) - I
> suspect because of the ssl certificate on the dovecot box.
>
> I *really* don't want to use the same password on the dovecot box that
> I use with my pop account, I am forwarding logs and other info to the
> dovecot imap server so I can read them from wherever, and my smtp
> password is the same as what fetchmail uses to pop the account, so if
> they sniff that and its the same as what I use to log into the imap
> server, sensitive info could be read.
>
> Any way to make evolution use a different password for smtp
> authentication? Any way to tell balsa the ssl certificate is OK?

Curious. I wouldn't know how to configure it so that it *didn't* require
you to enter the passwords separately.

In the current FC3 version of Evolution (2.0.4), in the account
configuration setup, the POP/IMAP configuration is set in the "Receiving
Mail" tab, and the SMTP configuration is set in the "Sending Mail" tab.
Completely separate?

> As far as Eudora goes, I'll look for another windows mail client if I
> can't find a solution for that (on a different resource)

Last time I tried Eudora was 5.2.1.1 (beta) and there was no way to use
different SMTP & POP passwords there. No idea if things have improved
since then.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>