REINSTALL GRUB?-I blew it.

Kevin kvonb at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 03:58:51 UTC 2005

--- akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 04:22:57PM -0500,
> akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 02:09:16AM +1000, Kevin
> wrote:
> > > I tried: grub-install /dev/hda4, with rescue
> mode on
> > > FC2 CD1, and also FC2 rescue CD, nothing.  It
> doesn?t
> > > appear to be on the CDs!
> > >
> > > The only grub-install I can find is on my hda4
> > > partition in /mnt/fc2/sbin/, the problem is
> > > grub-install keeps trying to find itself in
> /sbin.  I
> > > tried to re-do the PATH statement and still
> nothing.
> > >
> > > :(    Kev.
> > >
> > Forget about grub install. Executer the following:
> > grub
> > > root (hd0)
> > > setup (hd0,3)
> > > quit
> >
> Well I blew it. I can't trust my memory . The steps
> above are wqing.
> The correct ones are:
> > grub
> > > root (hd0,3)
> > > setup (hd0)
> > > quit
>

> --

> The Almighty in His infinite wisdom did not see fit
> to create Frenchmen
> in the image of Englishmen.
> 		-- Winston Churchill, 1942
> Aaron Konstam
> Computer Science
> Trinity University
> One Trinity Place.
> San Antonio, TX 78212-7200
>
> telephone: (210)-999-7484
> email:akonstam at trinity.edu
>
> --

That did the trick, thanks Aaron.

The only problem being that I resized and created a
new partition with Nortons Partition Magic, then
copied my old hda2 to the new hda3 with Nortons and it
spat the dummy big time!

Oh well, start again ;)  At least I´m learning new
stuff!  I came across this fabulous CD a little too
late: sysresccd<dot>org.

I don´t understand why, in 2005, a simple thing like
recovering from a boot problem should be such a
comlpicated process.  Having to learn a whole new
operating system (grub) just to get a partition to
boot seems a bit stone-age, and lilo worked just fine.

Yes I know it is probably very powerful from a
technical standpoint, but isn´t the whole point of
computers and machines in general to make life easier?

Linux will never be mainstream with this old way of
thinking.  Sure I can learn how to make a raft and
paddle to China, but why not just get on a plane if I
only want to go for a holiday?

Regards......KEv :)

http://au.movies.yahoo.com