Is SpamAssassin kernel dependent?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Apr 6 13:19:30 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 06:38, Chris Ruprecht wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> when I run my FC2 server with the latest 2.6.10 (build 771) kernel,
> spamassassin runs fine and almost all spam messages get flagged as such
> and dealt with accordingly.
> But since my machine keeps crashing with that kernel (reports of
> ieee1394 errors, obscure memory errors) I'm running the 'highest' build
> that doesn't have those issues which is 2.6.9-1.11_FC2. But now, a lot
> of spam gets through (roughly 50%) undetected. This leads me to believe
> that spamassassin behaves differently, depending on the running kernel.
> Is there some truth to this? If so, what do I need to do, to make it
> understand what to filter?

I don't think the kernel version should affect spamassassin in that way.

A more likely cause is that spamassassin is picking up a different set
of rules files or configuration files for some reason.  Check that you
are picking up the correct local.cf file, normally under
/etc/mail/spamassassin or user_prefs under ~user/.spamassassin.  Verify
which bayes database you are using.

And check the log files for clues as to where it is pointing.

I have seen problems before where the bayes database pointed to was not
the one you might think it is because of the configuration options in
the files mentioned above.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

philosophy:
	The ability to bear with calmness the misfortunes of our friends.