FC3 keeps on giving problems

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Apr 6 13:27:07 UTC 2005

Andy Green wrote:
> John Hodrien wrote:
>
> | Much easier to just use another linux machine as an NFS server.  Make an
> | NFS
> | export, just lob the iso images in a directory, and the installer
> | handles the
> | rest.
>
> It's true, but I don't like the idea of NFS on my network.  I have used
> it for network boot, but it required no root squash in that scenario and
> it made me uncomfortable.  For network boot I managed to replace it with
> NBD instead which exports a single "filesystem file" from the server,
> can do so as an unprivileged user, and is anyway faster.  I don't mind
> having to fiddle with a webserver instead of having NFS.

An NFS server for FC3 installs doesn't need any fancy options though and
the export can be done read-only. It also doesn't need any loopback
mounting or other extraction of the ISO contents, which makes it a bit
easier to set up and to use.

On the other hand, if you do extract (or symlink to) the packages from
the loopback-mounted ISO images, and serve them out via HTTP, it takes
very little extra effort to set up a local yum repository using those
extracted packages, which is very handy if you have a bunch of machines
to maintain and occasionally need to install extra packages.

Paul.