SW RAID 1 (install) problem on FC3

Mark msalists at gmx.net
Wed Apr 6 16:50:09 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have a problem with an installation of a RAID software raid system (FC3)
I have 2 200GB HDs with the following partitions in a kickstart file:

clearpart --all
part /boot --fstype "ext3" --size=100 --ondisk=hda --asprimary
part /mnt/boot_mirror --fstype "ext3" --size=100 --ondisk=hdb --asprimary
part swap --size=2048 --ondisk=hda
part swap --size=2048 --ondisk=hdb
part raid.1 --size=100 --grow --ondisk=hda
part raid.2 --size=100 --grow --ondisk=hdb
raid / --fstype ext3 --level=RAID1 raid.1 raid.2

Installing this is very slow, starting with the formatting. Server load during install is between 3 and 7 (uptime).
Even after install is complete and the system rebooted, the system sits at a server load of more than 1 and is really sluggish...
top shows that md0_raid1 and md0_resync together constantly use up at least 25% of the processor resources.
When I boot, I noticed a message saying that md0 was unclean and had to be resynched, and that error already shows before I even
install and reformat the disks.
Why is this happening? Even if the RAID was out of synch, should the kickstart run not just repartition and reformat everything
rather than synching it?
How can I fix this? I tried re-installing a bunch of times without success...

The 2 hard disks are new and have not been used before...

Thanks,

MARK