Modem Problem

Richard E Miles r.godzilla at comcast.net
Wed Apr 6 21:52:45 UTC 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 14:38:52 -0500
"Smith, Herb" <herb.smith2 at boeing.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have FC3 and Windows XP set up as a dual boot system.  I recently
> installed a hardware modem to avoid issues with the WinModem that came
> with my new pc.  The modem seems to work fine on the windows side, but
> on the FC3 side I get an Error Number 8 when I try to activate it. It
> will not dial or anything.  Can someone tell me what this means?
>
> Thanks in advanced.
>
> Herb

You probably have what is known as a winmodem. It works in windows because
their drivers include support for capabilities usually handled by the
modem. If you have the hardware model numbers you can check at
http://linmodems.org to see if there is a driver you can use for your modem.

--
Richard E Miles
Federal Way WA. USA