Permanently changing startup order?

Arthur Pemberton dalive at flashmail.com
Wed Apr 6 23:31:34 UTC 2005

Robin Green wrote:

>Fedora-list,
>
>I just rebooted my server and openldap failed to start, which broke email;
>this is because my openldap installation depends on a postgresql database
>and postgresql starts later in the bootup sequence.
>
>I realise that there isn't always "one right solution" for everyone when it
>comes to bootup order. I am storing my ldap database in postgresql; other
>people might use ldap to authenticate to postgresql, so they would require the
>current startup order.
>
>So, I fixed it for now (at least, in runlevel 3 - runlevel 5 is never used on this
>server) by:
>
>cd /etc/rc3.d
>mv S64postgresql S38postgresql
>
>But might not this get broken the next time I upgrade postgresql? And if so, is there
>anything I can do about it - short of maintaining my own custom postgresql rpm
>and prioritising my own yum repository highest in yum.repos.d?

I would suggest you just make you of the way init works and chkconfig
work. Try

#chkconfig --del openldap

then edit the your openldap startup script, which i'd presume to be
/etc/init.d/openldap. Change the line which reads "chkconfig: 2345 08
92" to something more appropirate for you. From what I remember, "2345"
represent the runlevels on which it gets started. "08" represents the
start number. and "92" represents the stop number. Then

#chkconfig --add openldap

I would suggest you backup the init script first. And if things work
out, then just save a copy of the edited init script and restore it when
ever openldap gets updated.

Just a suggestion.