LSI MegaRaid 493 FC3 not seeing attached disks

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Thu Apr 7 03:59:03 UTC 2005

jeffrey Lang wrote:

> I'm intalling FC3 on a gateway P3 that has a LSI MegaRaid 493 Raid
> controller installed.   The system has a Problem with the  MegaRaid
> 493 not seeing the Disks attached to it.   There are six disks
> attached to the Raid Controller, setup in a Raid 5 configuration.
>
> The system sees and load the MegaRaid drivers but doesn't seem to see
> the drive (Raid-5).   Anyone have an idea why it doesn't see the drive?

I saw something similar, and I could see the drives if I booted the
machine, then connected the fibre channel cable and loaded the drivers
with modprobe. If I booted the machine with the drives attached, I would
not be able to see the drives at all. The problem was the raid drive was
setup for Point-to-Point Only, and not FC-AL.

I looked at LSI's website and did not see a Megaraid 493, but did find
it with a Google search.

Some things you can try are to do an fdisk -l   to see if it sees any
/dev/sdX devices. You might also have to create your device files with
mknod or MAKDEV. Try an lsmod and make sure scsi_mod and sd_mod are loaded.