bind problem

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Apr 7 14:16:03 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:
> He's currently got just the one DNS server for the dwsmedia.info domain,
> namely ADVANCED.ANONNS.COM. No glue record for this nameserver is needed
> in the top-level info domain because it's in a different domain.

Strange, I'm getting NXDOMAIN for dwsmedia.info.  No NS records for it
on ultradns name servers of any kind.  His DNS servers (well, at least
brilliance) do not seem to be configured as authoritative for
dwsmedia.info domain either.

Could OP post relevant portions of named.conf and complete zone files?
Maybe the error is in named.conf somewhere, or maybe there's typo in
zone file causing BIND to ignore entire file.  OP should also check
/var/log/messages and see if BIND is complaining during startup about
anything.

> The DNS server at ADVANCED.ANONNS.COM [203.208.228.152] itself doesn't
> seem to be responding at the moment, hence domain dwsmedia.info is
> completely broken.

It is broken because ultradns (who's DNS servers are responsible for TLD
info domain) do not have any NS records for dwsmedia.info.