Users and X with wrong timezone settings help

Brent S. Clark cpt_morian at bwclark.info
Thu Apr 7 14:25:58 UTC 2005

Paul, I checked the permissions on /etc/localtime and they were -rw------.
I did a quick search for it on the archives and found that is should be
set to  -rw-r--r--. I chmod-ed it and now everything is working as it
should. Many Many Thanks!

Brent S. Clark
------------------------------
Message: 18
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:17:33 +0100
From: Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
Subject: Re: Users and X with wrong timezone settings help
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 11:36 -0600, Brent S. Clark wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ran into an interesting issue on my workstation and really dont know how
> to resolve it. Im hoping someone on this list can help me out.
>
> Im Running FC3. I have been using it just fine for a few months. Monday
> came and the computer didnt auto-update to reflect the time change, Im in
> Denver. So I changed the time manually via the redhat-config-time tool.
> All went well and I didnt receive any errors.
>
> Yesterday I logged in and my local user accounts are using UTC as their
> timezone and not MDT anymore. Root and the Kernel are using MDT as their
> timezone. X also is using UTC as the time zone.
>
> Running date and hwclock as root show the correct time I want to use.
> Running date and hwclock as any other user shows the time in UTC which is
> not what I want. Before I advanced the clock ahead on Monday, I didnt have
> this problem.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

What are the permissions on /etc/localtime?

$ ls -lL /etc/localtime

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>