bind problem

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Apr 7 14:20:46 UTC 2005

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>> He's currently got just the one DNS server for the dwsmedia.info
>> domain, namely ADVANCED.ANONNS.COM. No glue record for this nameserver
>> is needed in the top-level info domain because it's in a different
>> domain.
>

> Strange, I'm getting NXDOMAIN for dwsmedia.info.  No NS records for it
> on ultradns name servers of any kind.  His DNS servers (well, at least
> brilliance) do not seem to be configured as authoritative for
> dwsmedia.info domain either.
>
> Could OP post relevant portions of named.conf and complete zone files?
> Maybe the error is in named.conf somewhere, or maybe there's typo in
> zone file causing BIND to ignore entire file.  OP should also check
> /var/log/messages and see if BIND is complaining during startup about
> anything.
>
>> The DNS server at ADVANCED.ANONNS.COM [203.208.228.152] itself doesn't
>> seem to be responding at the moment, hence domain dwsmedia.info is
>> completely broken.
>

> It is broken because ultradns (who's DNS servers are responsible for TLD
> info domain) do not have any NS records for dwsmedia.info.

Well, this might be due to the OP making changes. Earlier today it was
correctly returning references to both "advanced" and "brilliance". The
whois entry for dwsmedia.info just references ADVANCED.ANONNS.COM right
now (and, interestingly, says the domain status is both "INACTIVE" and
"OK").

I'm seeing NXDOMAIN from tld1.ultradns.net too.

Paul.