FC3 network / Samba problems

David Liguori liguorid at albany.edu
Thu Apr 7 14:26:50 UTC 2005

Tomas wrote:
> i have got a huge problem, i conected to a windows network and i could
> not connect to any o the computers on that network. i tought i could do
> that with samba, so i tryd turning servers on and off but now the other
> computers cant communicate and i can see all the computers but i cant
> conet with them, is the a way to like reset samba?
> i realy need some help on this one, our whole network is down

It's well documented on this forum and elsewhere (Bugzilla, for one) that in FC3 you can't simply browse to an SMB share in Konqueror, etc. with the default firewalling turned on.  You have to mount the SMB share manually.  See "man mount" for starters.  What you may have done to your servers to hose the rest of the network is anyone's guess.  Was one of the restarted servers a WINS server, perhaps?