Attn : Dave Jones Re: I just want one more option in the FC Kernels (Dave Jones)

Parameshwara Bhat pbhat at ongc.net
Thu Apr 7 17:47:00 UTC 2005

Hello Mr.Dave

> From: Dave Jones <davej redhat com>
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
> Subject: Re: I just want one more option in the FC Kernels
> Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 01:21:57 -0400
>> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 10:22:50AM +0530, Parameshwara Bhat wrote:
  >> Hello List,
  >>
  >> My BIOS has 34 GB limit for hard-disks and I want the option
  >> IDE_DISK_STROKE set in kernel.Standard FC kernels do not have this
set.So,
  >> I cannot access my data partition on second hard-disc.
  >>
  >> I want to know is there any shortcut to full-fledged recompilation of
  >> kernel to set this parameter in kernel.

> That config option went away upstream about 9 months ago.
> You can now configure this per-drive on the boot command line like so..

> hdb=stroke

Are you sure ? With my kernel 2.6.5-1.358, this option on command line
results in 'BAD OPTION' message from kernel. I checked 'kernel
parameters.txt', 'ide.txt' under kernel documentation, where it is not
mentioned. What is mentioned is 'hdx=C,H,S', but that option will be
overridden by successful probing of the device by kernel.

> Dave

Parameshwara Bhat